Meal Plan Monday- You need to eat too
As a mom myself I can totally relate when my clients and friends with new babies say to me "I never have time to eat!" Many times you get busy caring for your new little person, and possibly your other little people if you are not a first time mom. Many times we make a cup of coffee or tea and then several hours later we're drinking it cold and scarfing down whatever we can get our hands on in the kitchen. So how on earth can we do things so we can function and take care of ourselves too?
Here's some ideas to ensure that there's a bunch of quick and easy things on hand to grab and go while you are tending to your little person(s).
- Prep fruits and veggies in individual sized snack baggies in your fridge to grab and go. Do this maybe in the evening after everyone is in bed, or ask your partner, friend, family member, doula etc to do it for you.
- Stock up on healthy convenience snacks. Things like granola bars, yogurt, muffins, etc. Things that don't require a lot of prep work.
- Meal Plan, Meal plans are great not only for the "I don't know what to have for supper panic" but also for asking for help.
- Have a Food shower, instead of baby gifts, or maybe in addition to baby gifts request things to fill your freezer like baked goods, freezer meals etc.
- Make the time to eat, and sit down to do it. If your baby(ies) are napping, put down the broom/laundry basket etc and take 5-10 minutes to eat. I promise you will feel so much better.
- Prep a bunch of freezer meals, baking etc before baby comes. There's some great batch cooking cook books out there (The Big Cook is a great one). Turn it into a party with your friends or family and fill your freezer.
- Hire a Postpartum Doula, not only can we help prep meals but we can help take some of the stress off of you, remind you that it's ok to take care of yourself too, and even sit down to a cup of coffee or tea and a snack with you.
As promised here's our family's weekly meal plan! You know, just in case you are looking for inspiration ;)
Monday- Egg Foo Yung
Tuesday- Tortellini Pasta Salad
Wednesday- Skillet Chicken with Mustard Cream Sauce, Rice and Salad
Thursday- Root Beer Stewed Beef and Noodles
Friday- Sweet Pork Burritos
Saturday- Free Day
Sunday- Ranch Burgers with Potato Salad and Coconut Cream Pie